- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 Cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 Cup onion, finely diced
- 1 Teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup Yukon Gold Potato, cooked, diced
- 1-1/4 Cup Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 Sheet phyllo pastry
- 3 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoon water
- Water for brushing
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter until foaming. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and sauté until any liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Season and remove from heat to cool 10 minutes. Toss mushroom mixture with potato and cheddar cheese.
- To assemble, layer sheets of phyllo pastry on each other, brushing each sheet lightly with butter before layering. Spoon filling along long edge of pastry. Roll up pastry to cover filling and lift onto prepared baking tray. Press ends of pastry to seal. Brush strudel with eggwash and sprinkle with poppy seeds (optional). Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a rich golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
*This appetizer welcomes your guests and their taste buds to your dinner table. This strudel teases the senses; the crisp crust envelops a rich, earthy filling that sparkles with the sophisticated sharpness of aged Cheddar. Serve a larger slice of the strudel with a salad as an ideal brunch or lunch.